Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
**Your Role and Responsibilities**
**START DATES FOR THIS POSITION ARE IN SUMMER 2020 (3 months)**
As an Intern Cognitive Software Developer involves creating learning systems that enable humans and machines to perform better. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
**What You’ll Do:**
• You will create and maintain machine learning models with a focus on big data.
• You’ll work in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand and develop solutions for requirements. This includes designing, coding and testing innovative applications in areas such as machine learning, computational linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), advanced and semantic information search, extraction, induction, classification and exploration.
• You’ll assist with implementing, testing and improving algorithms in these areas, and will proactively identify and file patentable technology.
• You’ll employ IBM Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
**Who You Are:**
• You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
• You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with developers and scientists of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
• You have some awareness of knowledge representation and reasoning.
• You have a basic understanding of software development and programming in a language such as Java or Python.
• You have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking Methodology
• You have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile Development Methodology
Cognitive Software Developers are in demand across IBM’s growth areas. You’ll be matched to a development team based on your skills, location preference and business needs. Positions are based in one of the following IBM offices:
AZ – Phoenix
CA – Almaden, Costa Mesa, Emeryville, Foster City, Redwood City, San Francisco, San Jose
CO – Denver
GA – Atlanta
MA – Andover, Cambridge, Littleton
MN – Rochester
NC – Raleigh-Durham
NY – New York City, North Castle, Poughkeepsie, Yorktown Heights
OH – Cleveland, Dublin, Hartland
OR – Hillsboro
PA – Blue Bell, Pittsburgh
TX – Austin, Dallas
VT – Essex Junction
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Must have basic knowledge in one of the following technology areas: Java or Python.
• High School Diploma
Willing to travel up to 10%
**Required Technical and Professional Expertise**
+ Must have basic knowledge in one of the following technology areas: Java or Python
**Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise**
+ Willing to travel up to 10%
+ Bachelors or Masters Degree
**About Business Unit**
No matter where you work in IBM, you are making an impact. As an Early Professional with IBM, you will be taking on a key role with one of our industry-leading business units to work on the technology that is solving our most challenging problems and changing the way the world thinks.
**Your Life @ IBM**
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
**Being You @ IBM**
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.