Microsoft Quantum has assembled a talented and diverse international team to create the world’s first scalable quantum computing system. Microsoft’s verticalized approach involves exciting innovations at every level, from the qubit device and quantum information plane to the quantum-classical interface and classical compute system, all the way up to the system software, applications and global services. Microsoft Quantum will change the world of computing and help solve some of humankind’s currently unsolvable problems.
Microsoft Quantum has established Microsoft Quantum Labs across the globe, with locations in Europe, Australia, and the US. The sites are key to the Quantum program, with responsibilities distributed across them. We’re looking for Site Program Managers to assist with the ongoing operations and management of our sites to keep them running smoothly and effectively.
These sites are in unique working environments, at the focal point of a powerful collaboration between industry and academia. Specifically, each Lab for which we are seeking a Site Program Manager is situated at a Microsoft facility located at and tightly integrated within a University campus setting. To ensure the performant operation of each site in support of our Quantum Hardware program’s roadmap and priorities, the candidate will report into Microsoft headquarters and successfully coordinate with the Microsoft team and University personnel at the given site, as well as his/her counterparts and stakeholders at other Microsoft Labs across the world and the local Microsoft country subsidiary.
Partnering closely with onsite Microsoft leadership and administration, the Site Program Manager will complement the scientific & engineering efforts and activities at the Lab with contract and grant support, strategic personnel management, intellectual property-related processes, the cascade of and feedback to Microsoft headquarters on policy and compliance, budget and expense accountability, and dashboarding/reporting on key performance indices rolling up into a global Site management rhythm of business.
_Key Responsibilities_ _of this position_ _include:_
1. Functioning as first onsite point of contact andconduit to Microsoft headquarterswith respect to University-related contractual matters and obligations, including participating in associated management and operational forums
2. Partnering with Microsoft headquarter stakeholders (e.g. finance, legal) and at-Lab Microsoft leadership and administration to establish, manage and report-out on research collaborations and grants
3. In tight collaboration with onsite administration, managing the engagement of Microsoft (including Microsoft-contracted external staff) and University (including students, PhDs, postdocs, and technical staff) personnel, including enforcing onboarding/training modules, enabling appropriate access to project resources and facilities, offboarding, proactive report-outs on personnel, etc.
4. EnsuringSiteadherence to intellectual property maintenance and disclosure processes and rhythm
5. Contributing to the development of and management to Site budget, including being a point of escalation and taking a strategic approach to procurement-related matters
6. Facilitating and functioning asinterface between University and Microsoft stakeholders in support of Site-wide security and IT-related matters (e.g. networking)
7. Vetting, shaping objectives and agenda for, partnering with administration, and managing follow-ups on high priority and non-standard visits/tours to and meetings at Lab
8. Developing and rolling up into Microsoft headquarters a ‘control center’-type view of Site Program Manager accountability areas, including contract and partnership status, Site personnel, intellectual property processes, budget, security/IT, etc.
9. Monitoring and providing readouts/recommendations on local market Quantum-related dynamics (e.g. customer, government, competitor)
10. Partnering closely and on an as needed basis with the Redmond-based Principal Program Manager, Academic & Scientific Partnerships, and globally distributed Lab Managers on facilities and equipment; global EH&S; import/export; and cascade of Site-critical processes and repositories
11. Modeling and imbuing Site with Microsoft and team values and culture; working to ensure Site is exemplaryenvironment for effective private and public partnering and productiveco-existence of scientific and commercial interests
_The successful candidate will have the following qualifications_ _:_
+ 3+ years of experience navigating and working effectively in a multi-national, highly matrixed, complex organizational environment
+ 3+ years of experience in program or project management in public or private sector
+ Engineering affinity and a background working in academic environments a plus, especially in quantum or condensed matter physics, or related field
+ Experience in procurement (services, external staffing, etc.), service or research contracts, intellectual property, compliance, and/or security processes, ideally in a technical field
+ Flexible ‘jack/jane of many trades’ multi-tasker who is able to prioritize well
+ Ability to problem solve and ‘get to yes’ independently, demonstrating judgment and business acumen
+ Excellent attention to detail, organizational ability, and experience creating, maintaining, and delivering against scorecards/dashboards
+ Integrity, diplomacy, interpersonal, and partnering skills to work effectively and be compelling with all levels and functions of internal and external Quantum-related teams and stakeholder types globally
+ Manages confidentiality without exception
+ Team player
MICROSOFT BACKGROUND CHECK:
NV1/2, PV Clearance Assessment: This position may require an enhanced background check conducted through the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.